Monday, October 1, 2012

Cricut or Silhouette?? A new CHEAPER Silhouette called the Portrait is coming!

Pin It

So I've been a Cricut fan since I first saw their infomercial years before actually purchasing one.  I purchased my first Cricut almost exactly 3 years ago, won an E2 next year, and now own about 10 cartridges.  I know, I know, that's nothing compared to most Cricut users.  I do have two neighbors who now own Cricuts as well, and so we buy different cartridges and are able to share.  However, I've been a little torn lately because of one little thing.... the Silhouette.

The Silhouette Cameo is a Cricut Expression equivalent, but it does something the Cricut cannot do- cut fonts from your computer.  Now I don't use fonts on the Cricut a ton, I mostly use shapes.  But there are also a ton of free shape cuts for the Silhouette that people make online, plus the Silhouette store offers a free shape a week and 99 cent shapes.  This is enough to be enticing.  There are also a ton of other features I haven't even explored yet.  The part I don't like, however, is the price.  They run at around $269, which is a bit more than I want to spend.  And there don't seem to be any deals like the ones that are offered on the Cricut.  So I haven't gotten one yet.

So naturally I was thrilled to find out that Silhouette is going to be releasing a new, smaller, and CHEAPER machine called the Portrait next month.  Running at $199, it cuts up to 9" in width, which is probably as much as I would ever need anyway.  So now I'm REALLY torn.  Should I get one?  Do any of you have a Silhouette?  I'd love to get your opinions on which you like better.

I was also thrilled this evening to get an email from Expressions Vinyl, where I purchase all my vinyl, that they are offering preorders of the Portrait including FREE shipping!  Check it out here if you're interested.  This is definitely something I'm considering.  Think of all the cool vinyl projects I could do if I had one!!  Like this:

Pinned Image

or this:
Pinned Image
Or this:
Pinned Image

What would you make??



post signature

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I also have the Expression and the E-2. Then I purchased my Cameo. I like my Cricuts, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Cameo!! If you were wanting a Cameo, for larger cuts, I orderd mine from all my crafts and got to use a coupon that they offer all the time. Got mine for around $220.00. Which ever you decide, you wont be sorry!
    Cecelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a correction, Oh my crafts not all. Sorry.
    Cecelia

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin