Saturday, September 22, 2012

DIY Vinyl Wall Decals

Pin It I am due to have my second daughter in January, so I am trying to use my second trimester (when I actually have some energy) to do as much as I can to get ready.  A few weeks ago, a friend of mine came into town for the weekend, which was the perfect opportunity to paint the new baby's room!  My hubby and I are big blue fans, so now all of our upstairs bedrooms are blue- including both of the girls' rooms.  My 2 year old daughter's room is sky blue with rainbow murals, and we decided for our next baby, regardless of gender, we were going to do an "under the sea" theme.  We finally settled on using three shades of blue on the wall getting progressively darker with each shade separated from the next with a wave border.  Here is how it turned out.


So now comes the problem of the fish.  I hand painted the rainbow murals on my other daughter's wall, but I am not confident enough painting to try to do the fish freehand.  I know that I could buy some fish wall decals, but I really wanted to try to them myself.  So this was the perfect project for the medium of the week- VINYL! 

I have a Cricut cartridge called Life is a Beach which has a lot of great fish and other sea creatures.  So I cut this octopus using Cricut Craft Room (which allowed me to remove the original facial features) and I made white and black circles for the eyes.  I cut them all using vinyl and layered on the vinyl.  (Some people asked this week how I did the soccer balls on the waterbottle I made for my niece, and I did this the same way.  I just layered the black vinyl on top of the white.)  I hung it up on the wall to get an idea of what it will look like when I actually hang them up.  I've ready you should wait for paint to set for 30 days before adding vinyl decals, so I just taped this up temporarily. 



What do you think?  I'm really excited about it.  I can't wait to cut more fish this week! 

Want to make some vinyl decals of your own?  You have one more day to enter to win a $25 gift card to Expressions Vinyl where I purchased all my vinyl.  Use the Rafflecopter widget below to enter & thanks to everyone who has entered!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

post signature

7 comments:

  1. I love vinyl! I have made several water bottles and coffee mugs. I am working on a quote for my special education classroom wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh waht would I purchase - some different colours of vinyl - I have been working with only donation scraps from sign shops - I'm tired of red, black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it will be awesome when finished. Can't wait to see it. I would purchase some Christmas color vinyl a I'm getting ready for the season

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your octopus is adorable, can't wait to see the finished product.

    TFS Janis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way the walls look! Can't wait to see finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This also works great with standard contact paper. I used it to make those fancy-schmancy little trees in my bedroom in my apartment. Hassle free way to decorate without paint! Really like this idea. Very well executed!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin