Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY Easel-style Felt Board

Pin It As I said in my Leprechaun's Garden Sensory Box post the other day, I've been focusing a lot on crafts & fun activities for my 2 year old lately.  One of these projects was making her a felt board.  Since I stay home with her and she hasn't gone to preschool yet, I take her to a lot of storytimes and other activities and have been reading tons of preschool-aged magazines and blogs to get ideas of fun learning activities we can do together at home.  Felt (or flannel) boards are lots of fun and a great literacy tool.  They're kind of expensive if you go buy one, but of course they're much cheaper if you DIY.

So here's what you need:

2-3 yards of felt (you can buy this on the bolt at JoAnn's.  Don't forget your coupon!)
2 pieces of foam board (I bought mine in a 2 pack, again worth bringing a coupon.)
sewing machine/thread


First I laid out my felt and tucked a piece of foam board into the fabric.


I lined up a second piece inside, then cut the felt so that it would overlap about 3/4" with the other side.  I then trimmed the top to leave about an inch seam allowance on both the top and bottom.


Slide out the foam board and pin the pieces in place. 


Sew the top seam and sew down the middle.


Slide the pieces of foam back inside the pockets.


Here's where it gets tricky.  Sew a seam along the bottom, keeping your sewing machine pedal tightly against the foam board and holding the material tightly together.  Trim off excess fabric. 
Ta da!  You're done!

Front view

Side view

I recommend adding a ribbon to hold the two sides together if you plan to use this on a wood or tile floor.  On carpeting it stands up fine, but otherwise it slips all over the place!

I need to take pictures of the felt board activites I've made so far, so I'll share those in another post.  Happy crafting - and playing!




post signature

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I can't wait to make a mini book with this tutorial... My daughter AG has needed a book for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this today and it came out great! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin