Friday, February 10, 2012

Fabric Covered Party Hats

Pin It Have you seen the adorable fabric-covered party hats in baby's first birthday photos or in boutiques?  I think they're adorable, but crazy expensive.  I've seen them for $20 or more!  These party hats were made entirely with things I had around the house already, but even if you bought the materials needed just for these projects, we'd be talking less than a dollar. 


Here's how I did this.  I started out by searching all over for tutorials on how to make these.  This tutorial from Tradewind Tiaras was very helpful (and tells how to make the tulle poofs at the top), but ultimately I found the online templates for the hats were too small.  I still had my daughter's (store bought) party hat from last year, so I just opened it up and traced it on poster board.  Perfect!

I sprayed the poster board with spray adhesive to put on the fabric, cut around the fabric leaving a 1/2 inch, then glued this down with a hot glue gun.  I used the glue gun again to hold these in place, as well as to add the various embellishments (ruffled ribbon, felt flowers and buttons, as well as the tulle).  I poked holes in them using a Crop-a-dial, then added ribbon to tie the hats on.  Aren't they adorable?

We sent these home with our little guests to use as princess hats or for their own birthdays.  Hope they, and you, enjoy them!

*UPDATE 5/5/12- I am now selling custom hats like these in my Etsy shop!  I would be happy to make you hats for your party in custom colors/fabrics.  Please contact me for more information.

post signature

9 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous! I love the embellishments you chose, and the princess-style tulle tail is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can link this up at my turquoise lovin' party on Tuesday!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. *LOL* Ok, I am hyperventillating! I have two little girls and have been eyeing little hats like this for their April birthdays ...but you are so right, they are so expensive!! Hurrah Angela for showing me how to do this!! Would love it if you'd link up to my Destination: Inspiration at Teagan's Travels. Past and present projects are always welcome!

    http://teaganstravels.blogspot.com/2012/02/destination-inspiration-linky-party-2.html

    Thanks, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh my gosh! Simply adorable!!! Hope you'll link this up at our new linky party! We feature our favorites each week! We're your newest followers and we'd love to have you link up and follow if you'd like!

    http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/02/saturday-spotlight-2.html

    Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are absolutely adorable!! Love the fabric and colors you used! I would love you to stop by and link up at Friday Frolic:)

    http://www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com/2012/02/friday-frolic-14.html

    Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those are seriously CUTE! I love how fun and festive they are. Would you consider sharing them here?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/shine-on-fridays-15-and-some-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. These turned out so cute - I love the ruffles around the bottom! I am visiting from TT&J and would love it if you'd visit back!

    Amanda
    everycreativeendeavor.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very pretty!!! I love the way they turned out! I'd love to have you share this with our readers for our Fun Stuff Fridays link up! http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/fun-stuff-fridays-11.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin