Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cheesy Garlic Bread

Pin It


Most of the time when I make garlic bread, I take a half stick of butter or margarine, melt it in the microwave, add WAY too much garlic powder, then spread it on a halved loaf of italian bread and stick it in the oven.  Sometimes I'll top it with shredded cheddar cheese.  Both are delicious.  But there is nothing quite like the recipe below. 

When I was in high school I decided one year that I wanted to make my parents a fancy three course meal for their anniversary, complete with a menu we printed on our trusty old dot matrix and servers (my brothers dressed up with towels thrown over their sleeves.)  I did this a few different times, but of all the recipes I've made, this one has lasted the best in my family.  People literally inhale it.  It is probably incredibly artery-clogging, but it is phenomenal and soooo worth every bite. 

Unfortunately since I discovered it in high school, I can't tell you where this recipe comes from.  Probably one of my mom's old cookbooks, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd love to give them credit. When I was in college I used to keep some of this in a bowl in the fridge, then spread it on a piece of bread and heat it up in the toaster oven for a quick snack. Yum! Hope you enjoy!

Cheesy Garlic Bread

Minced garlic to taste (you probably only need 4 cloves, but I like more)
5 scallions, washed and chopped
1 bag of shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
Mayonaisse

Mix the garlic, scallions, and cheddar cheese, then add just enough mayonnaise to make it wet and spreadable (probably a spoonful or two).  I really recommend at this point putting the mixture in the refridgerator for a few hours to let the flavors combine; I really do think it's tastier if you do this, but it's not required.  Then spread it on a halved loaf of Italian bread and cook it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes at 350, or until the cheese is nice and melty.  Let it cool a bit, then slice it and serve with yesterday's fettucini alfredo or some other fantastically delicious pasta dish.  Definitely not the healthiest meal, but BOY is it GOOD! 

post signature

1 comment:

  1. sounds very yummy ... so yummy I pinned it so I make it one night :)

    pruttybird at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin