Saturday, December 24, 2011

Ornaments for the Birds

Pin It
My next door neighbors have always had a bird feeder and I love sitting out on the back porch and watching the birds they attract.  Another of my neighbors who I frequently craft with also loves birds, so I wanted to make something special for both neighbors for Christmas this year.  I wanted to do something that I could make with my daughter (22 months) since they are all so sweet to her.

A couple of years ago while I was at a gardening store around the holidays I saw cute minature Christmas wreaths made of bird seed and I fell in love with them.  I knew these would make perfect gifts, and I was delighted when I found a tutorial on how to make them on the blog Eighteen 25.  I made mine holiday themed using my holiday cookie cutters.  Here's how I did it. 


I gathered the supplies- wax paper, gelatin packets, bird seed, cookie cutters, ribbon, a pot & measuring cup.
I tied knots of ribbon and laid out all the cookie cutters on wax paper.
I heated 3 packs of gelatin and 3/4 cup of water, then added 2 1/4 cups of birdseed.
I spooned the birdseed/gelatin mixture into the cookie cutters, burying the knots from the ribbon into the middle of the birdseed.  This is the stage where I had my daughter help me, which is why we ended up with a big of a mess.  But they still came out great.  I hope our neighbors- and the birds- like them!


post signature

3 comments:

  1. Tooooo cute! Great crafty gift to make with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I want to make these; I love watching the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your ornaments for the birds! I would be happy if you would link it to my Show It Off Thursdays party at:

    http://ornamentplace.com/?p=978

    Thanks, Linda

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin