Saturday, July 30, 2011

Boo Boo Bug

Pin It



My daughter is a typical toddler and is wont to trip on the toys she leaves lying around, her pantlegs, or thin air. When she gets a bump we generally run for a bag of frozen peas, which usually confuses and interests her enough to make her stop crying. My niece used to have a cute little boo boo bunny, so I decided to make something similar. I drew a few sketches, but finally decided to go with the boo boo bug (partly due to my love of alliteration, but also because it came out cute and looked easy).


As you'll notice in future pictures, I altered the pattern a little on the way. I cut out some templates using the cricut and the George cartridge to make the small circle, as well as the half circle. I laid out the templates just to see how it would look.


I picked up a stack of washcloths from Big Lots that were bright and colorful and perfect for the job.


Then I cut out the pieces.


I've never worked with terrycloth before, and let me warn you, it can be a little tricky and MESSY! But after sewing it all together, here's what it looked like.


I left a space to fill it up with rice.


Then sewed the opening closed.


What do you think? My daughter doesn't quite get it yet. She just throws it on the floor like a beanbag. But hopefully next time she gets a boo boo, she'll appreciate it a bit more. Just in case you might want to make this as well, I put the template up here. Let me know if you do. :) Happy crafting!


post signature

16 comments:

  1. Very cute! Will the rice freeze as well as peas? I was thinking maybe you could make one with a button closure and just slide an ice pack in & out. But if the rice freezes, that would work great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little boo boo bug! I thought it was something my little grandson could use (he's 18 months). The other day he was going so fast he missed his turn and bumped into the wall with a walnut size bump on his forehead. The boo boo bug would have been perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO cute. I'm from Utah and rice bags are pretty big around there. I love this idea.

    For Linda Jordan - rice will stay cold for a while if you freeze it, but you want to freeze it inside of a plastic bag or container because the rice will start to absorb that "freezer" smell. You can also take the room temp. bag and warm it in the microwave for a few minutes for a warm compress instead of cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so adorable! I've been meaning to make a boo boo bunny but this is so much cuter! I would love it if you would stop by and link this up to the crafy link party going on right now at Lines Across My Face.
    :) Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/07/craft-link-party-2-cure-for-common.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. How incredible is this. OMG OMG. I love it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this project :) My girls would love to have a Boo Boo Bug and I'm going to have to run out to and get some colorful wash cloths to make one. Thanks for the wonderful idea!

    *** Your newest follower:)
    teachu14.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool project and I'll bet it would be super fun and inexpensive too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous project. So bright and cheerful. Just right for kids!

    Cheers from Bangalore ,India
    Dr Sonia S V
    http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea and so cute to boot.
    http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an adorable project!!! TFS

    Kathryn
    http://www.creationswithkathryn.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi from your newest follower, I love this, I have heat/ice packs handy but yours is much cuter for the children! Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so sweet!

    I run Fun Family Crafts, a library of craft tutorials geared at kids of all ages. I would love it if you'd stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don't post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really a cute idea! Thanks for sharing the pattern. JamieS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really cute. My afterschool sewing club made rice bags and they created flannel bags to go over them that were washable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up to this week's Tuesday Confessional. :) You were featured, so grab a button and get your brag on!
    http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/08/few-faves-from-this-weeks-tuesday.html
    P.S. I'm your newest follower!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is adorable!!! I do not have children yet but I will definitely store this idea away because it is too cute! Thanks for sharing! :)

    http://lifeofasoutherncouple.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin