Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Pin It I have been obsessed with blueberries this year! While I adore blueberries cooked into things (like pancakes or muffins), I don't usually eat them straight. But this year, I just can't get enough and neither can my daughter! My daughter is 17 months old and literally ate almost an entire pint in one sitting the other day. I bought a pint to make this recipe and decided to just give her a few for a snack, but she ate so many I had to go out and buy more!


Doesn't this look heavenly?

A few years ago I put together a recipe book for my family with all of our favorite family recipes, and one of my favorites that my mom used to make was coffee cake. I used her recipe for this, but tweaked it just a little. Here it is:

Coffee Cake
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar (I actually used closer to 1/2 cup)
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
(I added about 2/3 pint blueberries)

Grease pan. Blend all ingredients. Beat vigorously for 1/2 minute. Spread in 8x8 pan.

Topping
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (I used a little less)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp. firm butter

Mix topping together. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.


Let me know if you try this recipe & like it!


post signature

13 comments:

  1. Oh, those do look delicious! I'm a blueberry muffin fanatic, so I'm going to have to try your coffee cake- I'll let you know how it goes!

    http://growcreative.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you look at a picture and say Ooooo that looks good. That's when you know it's the perfect recipe for your link party :) I'm hosting a recipe only party Cast Party Wednesday and would love it if you came by and shared some of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good. I'm pinning it to my Yummies board. Visiting from Someday Crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Love streusel topping on anything!

    http://aunnajames.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I finally made the cake! It was yummy! Only problem was that I ate too much of it ;) Thanks again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. is this a 13 x 9 inch pan??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tried it! It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to make it but what size pan??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I followed the directions exactly, but the middle of the cake was a soupy mess!! Don't think I'll try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made it and it was spectacular!!! I did substitute 1/4c unsalted butter for the shortening, and I used a 9x9 dish to bake. Best coffee cake I have ever made! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin