Friday, July 15, 2011

Archivers crop & scrapbooking techniques

Pin It
Lately when I've been needing a night out, I've been heading to Archivers and enjoying their "free" crops on Fridays and Saturdays.  I love wandering around the store and looking at the projects on display and the projects others are working on.  I very rarely get as much done as I want to, but I always have a great time.  I decided to go this last week and stupidly left the pictures I was planning to scrapbook about on the kitchen counter.  I did remember the paper pack I bought last week at AC Moore - $10 for 180 sheets of ALL POLKA DOT PAPER!  Right up my alley.  So I decided to just make some generic layouts for my daughter's scrapbook using this paper and here's what I came up with.  (I still need to add some titles and embellishments; I'm just showing you what I made during the crop.)

Here's my first layout.  One of my favorite things about the Archivers crops is that you can use their die cuts AND a box of punches.  I love punches but rarely buy them because they're so expensive.  So I used their punches to make some layered flowers using the paper scraps from the layout. 

Here is a closeup of the flowers.  I raised one using foam adhesive.  I also glued the punched flowers onto pink cardstock and trimmed around to create a shadow effect.  

On to the second layout, which I really love.  The first I consider my warm up.  :)

I fell in love with this blue polka dot paper with the bird embellishment.  I'm really into nature embellishments right now- birds, trees, etc.  I just loved this cute little bird, but I wanted to do a two page spread and there were 3 copies of this exact page, but I didn't want to reuse the same decoration on both sides of the layout.  So I rotated the paper and covered the bird/flower decoration with the floral paper in the bottom right corner of the picture.  I also decided to do a trick I'd seen on a scrapbooking TV show and layer the bird and flower decoration on the bottom left to make it more dimensional.  Rather than using up the third sheet of this paper, I just trimmed out the embellishments from the layout on the right, since I was just going to cover it up anyway.


The back of the right side page.  No one will ever know.  That is, except everyone reading this blog!  ;)

But look at what an improvement this made!  Isn't it so cute?  I love the way the added dimension makes this look. 


One other thing technique I experimented with was making this pink polka dot border.  It looks like it was made using a border punch or decorative scissors, but I actually made it using a corner rounder!  I took off the plastic guide, then punched it along the edge of the paper.  It gave it this look which I just love.  I'm definitely going to use this technique again. 

Hope you enjoyed the layouts and the tips!  Let me know if you have any new tips to share.  :)
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great LOs! LOVE the pp and love how you cut one bird out of one page and popped it up over the other one! Looks wonderful! Great job on using the corner rounder too :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin