Sunday, May 22, 2011

Embellishing Die Cuts- A Week Long Event!

Pin It Now, don't get me wrong- I love my Cricut.  I must have watched the infomercial for the Expression at least a dozen times before I went out and bought my Baby Bug.  I'm not a Cricut fanatic, though.  In fact, I only own 5 cartridges, which is pretty much unheard of in the Cricut world.  Wonder why?  I cannot, for the life of me, do a good job embellishing my Cricut cuts. 

If it were up to me, my cricut cuts would look like these from Monique Griffith Designs:


Or these from Busy With the Cricky:



But instead, most of the time, my Cricut cuts look like this one from my Grandparents Calendar:

Disappointing, isn't it?

I have a few issues: 
1.  I generally prefer using plain colored cardstock because I have a hard time envisioning patterned paper in the shape I'd like.  I also buy a lot of plain paper because it's cheap.  Plain paper makes the cuts look flat and boring.
2.  I'm not terrific at layering.  This is actually one of my better examples.  Look at how many layers Hello Kitty has.  Way better.
3.  I cannot figure out how to embellish these in an interesting way.  I often find the little accent cuts annoying and don't know what to do with them other than going over them in a marker like I did above. 

So I've decided to examine the pieces that I like, as well as doing a little research, and so I put together these techniques for you on how to decorate and embellish Cricut cuts.  This will be a week long event with new tips each day!  Hopefully I'll be able to give even you Cricut pros a few new ideas.  Please become a follower so you can see what's new all week long and feel free to leave comments with links to your great ideas too!  I'd also love if you grabbed & shared my button on your blog to let others know about this event.  Thanks for stopping in & see you tomorrow with the first tip!
Binge Crafter

11 comments:

  1. New follower here. I am looking forward to your week of tips. I also have a hard time getting Cricut die cuts to look as fabulous as I would like.

    bjohn3237 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also look forward to seeing what else can be done with the cricut! I think the machine intimidates me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower! I can't wait to see what tips you have for us. My die cuts are boring, boring, boring! I do love my Cricut E and E2, though, and I would love to make my die cuts look eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am exactly like you....except I have tonnes of cartridges and keep hoping inspiration, a bolt of lightening...anythin will strike and make my cuts look amazing. I can't wait to see your ideas and tips. I so want to make my pages pop! Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has there been a technique shared already? I'm just like you...can't figure out what to do with the accent cuts either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see so many of you here with me! I knew I wasn't alone in wanting to learn to make better embellishments. :) Kathy- the tips will start tomorrow and there will be one each day this week. Hope to see you then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a new follower and always looking for new ideas!
    Won't you follow me back?
    carla-writes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the others I am looking forward to seeing the tips you post this week for bringing die cuts to life. Thanks in advance !

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great concept!! I love the idea!! I am a new follower!! Can't wait to check these out! I have been using my cricut since they first came out and still sometimes I fall flat!!
    Denise in WA
    www.rndhud6.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. patience and talent you have both I think they look great

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin