Saturday, May 28, 2011

Die Cut Technique 6 - Distressing

Pin It The sixth technique of my week-long Embellishing Die Cuts event is an aging technique.


TECHNIQUE #6 - DISTRESSING
I actually don't do a lot of distressing because I don't do a lot of vintage style scrapbooking or card making. However, a lot of people use this method to embellish their die cuts, so it is worth mentioning here.  There are several ways to distress.  You can use sandpaper or an emery board to distress the edges.  I also tried the same idea using the sharp edge of scissors.  You can also lightly mist your paper, crinkle it up, then let it dry.  Another option is to curl the edges.  Dark colored inks can also be used to distress die cuts as well, or with lighter colored paper you can use things like tea stains.

Here are some examples of a heart cut from the George cartridge.  (Please forgive the photo- my camera is broken.  Guess that's what I get for letting a 15 month old near it.) Personally I think the one that is crumpled and inked has the most interest. 


 
I hope that you've enjoyed Embellishing Die Cuts Week!  I hope you've learned something & shared your own links as well.  If you'd like to see some other articles on how to decorate your die cuts, here are a couple I found along the way.

http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/doc/43665/363.html
http://deenaziegler.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/technique.html

Do you have any other decorating tips to share?  I'd love to feature any blog entries about your techniques.  Leave me a comment or email me at ilove2bake at yahoo dot com. 

I really want to say thank you to everyone who participated this week!  Make sure you link up your distressed projects here!


3 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed your die cut techniques and I'm sorry to see this end. I haven't been able to put any of your tips to work yet but I'm hoping that I might get to play with my scrapping stuff later in the week.

    bjohn3237 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been great and very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the tips, Angela! I hope to use some of them on my diecuts so they are so flat and boring.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin