Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Die Cut Technique 2- Inking or Chalking the Edges

Pin It The second technique of my week-long Embellishing Die Cuts event is a technique to add depth and dimension to your die cuts.

TECHNIQUE #2 - INKING OR CHALKING THE EDGES



This is an example I made using plain colored cardstock, but I shaded the edges of the moon white and baby blanket blue using inks and chalks. See the entire layout here if you're interested. You can also use watercolors or watercolor pencils for a similar effect.

Inking is probably my favorite scrapbooking technique that I've learned.  All you need to do is drag (or wipe) an inkpad along the edge of the cardstock.  This is what I did with the moon above.  With the baby blanket I used chalk to rub along the edge in a similar fashion.  (BTW- AC Moore sells $1 ink pads if you need to stock up on different colors.)

Faith Abigail at Faith Abigail Designs uses this techique beautifully.  Look at this gorgeous beach scene Thank You card.  Imagine how different this would be without the ink.  It really makes each piece stand out and makes it look much more professional. 


Do you have a project where you have used this technique? Add it below!


4 comments:

  1. A very nice tutorial, I have used both of these techniques in the past and they do make things look so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your series on embellishing the die cuts. I agree that inking makes a huge difference and your examples showcase it beautifuly. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting these embellishing tips. I usually shade my die cuts with ink or chalks but I never thojohn3237 at aol dot comught about using my white gel pens to embellish them. I will sure give that a try now.

    bjohn3237 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with you about how inking something just makes it look completely different. On my LO, the large baseball mitt is inked around the edges and the openings...it also has the white gel pen stitching!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin