Monday, May 23, 2011

Die Cut Technique 1- The White Gel Pen

Pin It The first technique of my week-long event on decorating die cuts will help you to add depth and dimension to your die cuts.


TECHNIQUE #1- THE WHITE GEL PEN


People use opaque white gel pens to add dot accents to die cuts or often faux stitching around borders. I've read you should add these accents "where the light would fall," but not being an artist by any stretch of the imagination, I have no idea where light would fall. So I just kind of add them wherever. It took me forever to figure out how to do this well. Part of my problem was that the first thing I purchased to make these accents was a marker and not a gel pen. But when I look at a lot of these really "professional" looking cricut scrapbook pages, this is often their embellishment of choice. I have an example here below for you. You can also use other items like Stickles (glitter glue), gems, or Diamond Glaze (glossy medium) to do similar accents.
An example of faux stitching, from my Day at the Park layout.


Here are links to some great projects using this technique:


http://monkeydoodlecricut.blogspot.com/2011/03/first-birthday.html
http://spartansusscraper.blogspot.com/2011/03/disney-blog-hop-blog-candy.html
http://www.scrappingmommy.com/2011/03/little-boy-layout-with-nates-abcs.html
http://www.cricutholiday.com/2011/03/faithful-friends-layout-made-using.html


And here is an example of highlighting, something from an upcoming project:




The monkey is cut from the New Arrival cartridge.

So here's how I want to make this week interactive and fun.  Do you have any projects on your blog that have used this technique?  If so, add them to the Link Up below!  I've been doing some Link Ups on other blogs for several weeks through




and finally decided to do some of my own.  I thought this would be a great way to encourage all of you readers to try out this technique, post your project on your own blog, then link up here so other readers can travel to your blog and see what you've done! So how do you link up?


-Click "Add Your Link" button below.
-Enter the blog address for your specific blog entry, a title for your project, and your email address (this won't be shown, just in case I want to contact you & let you know how great your project is!)
-Select a picture from your blog that you'd like to have displayed.


That's it! Now people will be able to travel from my blog to yours! I hope you enjoy this & come back later in the week for more tips and link ups!!
 




3 comments:

  1. Great instructions, I will see if I have time to make a card later and link up too! Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This great!Hubby bought me a cricut expression for xmas and its exciting but i too was at a loss concerning the one dimensional look of die cuts.Im following your posts with interest...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just toooooo cool that you're doing this "week long embellishing" series. I just LOVE it!! Thanks so much!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin