Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Freezer Paper Stenciling Tutorial

Pin It
How cute is this?  Freezer paper stenciling is one of the easiest and most rewarding projects you can do, especially for baby onesies!  I used one of the blue onesies I dyed for this project.  Do you want to learn how?  Here's a tutorial. 

You need:

baby onesie (put some cardboard inside to protect the back)
fabric paint (I used Tulip matte paint in Azalea)
freezer paper
foam paintbrush
paper plate (or something to put your paint on)

First, cut out the shape you want with freezer paper.  Freezer paper has two sides- you want the glossy side down as this is what will help stick the freezer paper to the fabric when you iron it.  I used this template from Family Fun to make the butterfly, then drew some hearts for the pattern on the wings.
Next, iron the template onto your fabric.  I used the silk setting (LOW) on my iron and only ironed for a couple of seconds. Notice the purple near the collar?  That's a piece of cardboard I cut out in onesie shape to use when I'm decorating onesies.  You need to put something in your onesie at this point so that your fabric paint doesn't leak through to the back.
Paint away!  I use a foam brush and dab like I'm stenciling.  You want to be careful that you don't get below the freezer paper but also you want to use enough paint so it looks even and bold.
 Let your paint dry.  Add a second coat if you'd like.
 Then just peel off the freezer paper!  The Tulip paint suggests washing inside-out.
Did you follow this tutorial?  If so, send me a link to your projects so I can share!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!! I want to try this, I've got a baby girl with zillions of plain boring onsies. If something turns out cute, I'll post it on my blog! I found you on the Dittle Dattle Party today. Check me out if you get time! :) http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must think alike:) Love it! I did some butterfly pillows this past week with freezer paper. Very therapuetic and rewarding! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This simple technique could be used for so many projects. Thanks for sharing the directions. I would like to try it on drop clothes for a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing your technique. I love the butterfly. :)

    Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Hope you'll visit me at Serenity Now again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well I'm def going to buy freezer paper today! :D thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin