This was my first attempt at knitting something three dimensional, therefore my first experience using double pointed needles. I watched some online tutorial videos and first attempted this about three evenings ago. The first time I tried, I got to the edge of the rolled brim before realizing that not only had I inadvertently added 4 stitches, I was also losing my stitches off the back end of the needles. So I ripped it all out and started over and finished most of it in two evenings. Tonight I added the stem and leaf and I'm loving it!
By the way, the pattern that I used was online at explaiknit.typepad.com/AppleaDay.pdf.