Monday, November 16, 2009

Fabric Spray Painting!

Pin It Last week I used my 50% off coupon for Michaels to purchase the Tulip Fabric Spraypaint I've been interested in getting. I got a four pack of small bottles, originally priced $12.99 for $6.50. The four pack included light purple, dark purple, light pink, and dark pink. I've enjoyed doing tie dye before, but knew it was too big and messy a project to take on right now. I was actually pleasantly surprised with how these turned out and determined that fabric spray painting has several advantages to tie dyeing.


1- It's much cheaper.
2- It lasts longer. You don't have to purchase a ton of materials to dye all at once.
3- No soda ash or buckets required!
4- The paint doesn't stain your skin.


The first thing I did was cut a onesie out of cardboard to put inside so that the fabric paint didn't leak through from one side to the other. I decided I wanted to make a freezer paper stencil to use. I traced an outline of a cat on the freezer paper and cut it out with an exacto knife. I ironed the stencil (outside) to the baby onesie (just a couple of seconds, waxy side down). Then I put onesie on the cardboard cutout and put it on a plastic grocery bag in the tub (just in case I made a mess). I then used the dark pink spray to fill in the cat stencil, then peeled off the stencil to let it dry.


The next day I ironed the inside of the stencil over the cat I'd already painted (just to preseve the cat) and then misted on the other colors of paint. I pulled off the freezer paper after I was done. After I painted the front, I painted the back as well and hung it on a baby hanger to dry. This is the final product:


I absolutely love it! I think it's so cute. I decided to make a second onesie at the same time using the same colors. I wanted to use more of a tie dyeing technique, so I crumpled it up on a plastic bag and sprayed the colors in different areas. I turned it over to do the reverse side, then after a few minutes recrumpled to add more color. (I didn't want quite as much white showing through.) Here is this one:


This project was SO EASY. It was easy to make and easy to clean up (just throw away the plastic bags). I love projects that have great results in less than an hour!

I have to wait 72 hours before I can wash these, then wash them inside out. I hope they maintain most of the color and don't become too light. We'll see how they turn out Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THEM!! The cat is SOOO cute! They both are. You are so damned clever! I think you could do some fun mixed-media stuff and maybe do some applique on top of the spray-paint tie dye, or color your own fabric and applique it on. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin